A kale and apple salad is a great way to get your daily dose of fruits and vegetables. The kale is packed with nutrients, while the apples add sweetness and brightness. The contrast of textures, flavors and vibrant colors makes this salad irresistible.
Kale and apple salad ingredients
- Kale: a nutritional powerhouse, providing an array of health benefits. One cup of kale contains only 33 calories but packs a whopping 5 grams of protein and 2 grams of fiber. It’s also high in vitamins A, C and K, as well as minerals like calcium, potassium and magnesium. Kale is also a good source of lutein and zeaxanthin, two antioxidants that help protect your eyes from age-related damage.
- Apples: they add sweetness and color to the salad, as well as important nutrients like vitamin C and fiber. Any apple will work, as long as it is fresh and crunchy!
- Walnuts: add crunch and healthy fats. The fat in walnuts can help to lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. Walnuts are also a good source of protein, fiber, vitamins B6 and E, and minerals like magnesium, potassium, and zinc.
- Cheddar cheese: a great choice for this kale and apple salad because of its flavor and texture. The sharp, tangy taste of cheddar pairs well with the sweetness of the apples, and its crumbly texture provides a nice contrast to the soft kale and crunchy walnuts.
- Dijon mustard: acts as an emulsifier for salad dressings, as it binds together oil and vinegar.
- Lemon juice: makes any salad dressing zippy and bright! And a great source of vitamin C!
- White balsamic vinegar: with its sweet, fruity taste, white balsamic vinegar provides a moderate amount of acidity that mellows out the tartness of the lemon.
- Extra virgin olive oil provides healthy fats and contributes to the flavor of the dressing. My go-to: Partanna Sicilian Olive Oil
Recipe tips and substitutions
- Massage the kale with a pinch of salt and 1 tsp olive oil before you add the other ingredients. This helps to soften the kale and bring out its flavor.
- Apples can be substituted with pear or other types of fruit depending on what’s in season or what you prefer.
- Walnuts can also be substituted with other types of nuts or seeds depending on what you like best.
- Cheddar cheese can also be substituted with Swiss cheese, blue cheese, feta cheese, goat cheese, etc.
- If you don’t have white balsamic vinegar on hand, you can substitute it with any other type of vinegar. Apple cider vinegar would be a great choice.
- Add some chickpeas, cooked chicken or shrimp for added protein to make this a complete meal.
Advance prep and storage
- You can prepare the massaged kale and the dressing in advance, and assemble the salad just before serving.
- Once assembled, it will keep for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
This kale and apple salad is incredibly easy to make – you can have it on the table in no time! By making kale and apple salad, you can enjoy a delicious meal that is both simple to make and satisfying to eat. So go ahead, brighten up any day with kale and apple salad!
More delicious recipes:
Kale and Apple Salad
- Slice kale thin and place in a large bowl. Add a pinch of salt and 1 tsp olive oil. Massage with your hands for a minute until the leaves feel soft.
- Wash the apple and cut it in small cubes, working around the pit (leave the skin on for added nutrition and color). Add to the bowl.
- Dice the cheddar in 1/2" pieces. Add to the bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, lemon juice, white balsamic vinegar and olive oil together. Pour over the salad bowl and toss until combined.
- Served topped with walnuts.