Pumpkin chicken pasta bake
This pumpkin chicken pasta bake is a cozy yet healthy casserole. Rich in protein, vitamin A and calcium and low in calories and saturated fat
For the mushroom "bacon"
For the chicken
- 10 oz skinless chicken breast (1 large)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
For the pumpkin sauce
- 3 tbsp parsley chopped
- Heat oven to 375F
- Slice mushrooms and toss with olive oil, smoked paprika, salt and pepper
- Spread them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, flip them over and cook another 10 minutes. Let them cool on the baking sheet.
- Lower oven temperature to 350F
- Meanwhile, bring chicken stock to a boil, add chicken breast. Reduce heat and cook 15 minutes until no longer pink. Take the chicken out and save 1 cup of the broth.
- In a food processor, place pumpkin puree, garlic, milk, sage, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and the reserved cup of chicken broth. Blend until smooth.
- Shred the chicken breast with two forks and place in a large bowl.
- Cut mushrooms into bite size pieces and add to the bow
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and add to the bowl.
- Mix the shredded cheeses together and add half of the mixture to the bowl.
- Pour the sauce into the bowl and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a lightly oiled baking dish. Top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes. Let it rest 5 minutes before serving. Top with chopped parsley and serve.
Heads up: my posts may contain affiliate links! If you buy something through one of those links, you won't pay a penny more but we'll get a small commission, which helps keep the light on. For more details, read our affiliate disclosure. Thanks!