Add a burst of flavor to your next salad with this zesty cilantro tahini dressing recipe. Say goodbye to boring greens and hello to a taste party in your mouth! This easy and irresistibly delicious recipe is perfect for spicing up any dish, so let’s get started!
Ingredients for a flavor-packed tahini dressing
It takes just minutes to pull together these 8 ingredients and in moments you’ll have a bright, zesty and healthy sauce that’s perfect for enhancing any dish.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro adds a bright, herbaceous flavor to the dressing. It’s a popular herb in many different cuisines and is perfect for giving the dressing a zesty kick.
- Tahini: made from ground sesame seeds, this creamy paste adds nuttiness and richness to the dressing. It also helps to make the dressing thick and creamy. My favorite choices: Joyva Sesame Tahini or Soom Organic Tahini.
- Garlic: adds a pungent flavor and a hint of heat to the dressing. Not to mention its powerful health benefits.
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice: for a touch of acidic flavor. It also helps to balance out the richness of the tahini and olive oil.
- Red wine vinegar: also adds acidity to the dressing, but with a more subtle, fruity flavor than the lemon juice. It’s a great addition for adding depth to the dressing while balancing out the other flavors.
- Water: water is added to the dressing to thin it out and make it easier to pour. It also helps to mellow out some of the more intense flavors.
- Extra virgin olive oil: the healthy fat that adds richness and body to the dressing. The olive oil’s fruity and nutty flavor is a great compliment to the tart flavors.
- Salt: to enhance and tie all the flavors together.
Step-by-step in pictures
I like to make this dressing in a high speed blender so that the cilantro gets finely chopped and the dressing becomes emulsified. Follow along with these simple step-by-step instructions to make your very own green tahini sauce!
Expert tips and storage instructions
- To prevent the tahini from sticking to the bottom of the blender cup and making it difficult to incorporate into the dressing, it’s recommended that you add it last.
- You can make this in a food processor instead of a blender. Same recommendation applies.
- Tahini consistency may vary depending on brand, but don’t worry! You can easily adjust the thickness of your sauce by adding more or less water based on how you plan to use it–as a dip, sauce or salad dressing. It’s really that easy!
- This dressing will keep in the refrigerator up to 5 days in an airtight container. You can also freeze it and thaw it at room temperature when ready to use! Just stir well before serving to bring the emulsion together.
How to serve this green tahini dressing
Cilantro tahini dressing is an incredibly versatile sauce that can be used in so many different ways. You can drizzle it over salads or bowls, use it as a dip for veggies or pita bread, or as a sauce for grilled meats or roasted veggies. The possibilities are endless!
Other recipes you will enjoy
Cilantro tahini dressing
- Chop garlic and cilantro coarsely and place in a blender
- Add salt, lemon juice, vinegar, water, olive oil and salt. Finish with tahini on top.
- Blend until smooth.
- If needed, thin out the dressing with additional room temperature water until you reach desired consistency.