This recipe requires a little work, but once you try it, you will never order this dish in a restaurant again… This version is so much lighter yet tastier!
- 2 eggplants large (about 2 pounds total)
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil leaves
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- 1 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese 4 ounces
- Preheat oven to 400°. Coat two baking sheets and an 9-by-12-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut eggplants lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. You need to get 12 good long slices (keep the first slice that has mostly skin to use in a stir fry or something else). Whisk egg whites and water in a shallow dish until frothy. Combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, salt and pepper in another shallow dish. Dip the eggplant slices into the egg-white mixture, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, turn the eggplant slices over, and bake until crisp and golden, about 15 minutes longer.
- Stir basil into tomato sauce. Spread about 1 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange half of the eggplant slices over the sauce. Spoon 1 cup of the remaining sauce over the eggplant and sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese. Add a layer of the remaining eggplant slices and top with the remaining sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Let the dish rest for 5 to 10 minutes before eating as the tomato sauce will be very hot…
Calories: 299kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 1323mg | Potassium: 846mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 740IU | Vitamin C: 11.5mg | Calcium: 335mg | Iron: 3.4mg
Heads up: my posts may contain affiliate links! If you buy something through one of those links, you won't pay a penny more but we'll get a small commission, which helps keep the light on. For more details, read our affiliate disclosure. Thanks!