A no-cook recipe great for a hot summer day. Marinated in lime juice, the fish takes on a smooth and tender texture, combined with a bit of crunch from the onion, a bit of heat from the jalapenos, a bit of coolness from the tomatoes, and a bit of creaminess from the avocado…This mixed seafood ceviche is a real fiesta in your mouth!
What seafood to choose
This mixed seafood ceviche recipe calls for a mix of scallops, shrimp and white fish. Cod will work well, but I often use tilapia since it’s cheap and readily available. Any kind of mild tasting semi-firm white fish is fine though: sea bass, grouper, flounder, snapper…
If you live near a coast and know your fish monger by first name, by all means buy fresh. Where I live, frozen fish is my first choice as it guarantees freshness!
You can make variations of this dish by omitting scallops, shrimp, or using just one type of seafood. I personally like the combination of the three which makes it more interesting.
How to serve mixed seafood ceviche
Serve as appetizer (with plantain, sweet potato chips or corn tortillas for example) or as a main course with a side of cilantro rice or grilled corn.
Other recipes you might like:
Mixed seafood ceviche
- 1 1/2 pounds White fish cod, tilapia or other
- 1/4 pound Scallops
- 1/4 pound Shrimp peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup Lime juice enough to cover the fish
- 1/2 ea Red onion chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp Jalapeno pepper chopped (about 1 large)
- 1 cup Cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 ea Avocado cubed
- 1/4 cup Cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse and pat dry the fish, shrimp and scallops. Cut all in very small pieces (about 1/4 inch). Place in a glass bowl. Cover with lime juice and 1/2 tsp salt. Make sure the fish is completely covered, if needed add more lime juice.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add jalapeno and onion and refrigerate for another 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, add tomatoes, avocado, cilantro and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Garnish with lime wedges.
Pingback: Mediterranean seafood stew - Cuisine With Me
Pingback: Mediterranean Seafood Stew - Cuisine With Me
Pingback: Baked shrimp in tomato sauce - Cuisine With Me