Imagine all the flavor of sizzling fajitas in a meatless dish. With these portobello mushroom fajitas, you won’t miss the meat at all.
Don’t get me wrong. Even though a lot of people think of portobello mushrooms as a meat replacement, they actually do not provide nearly the same amount of protein as meat or beans (only about 3g per cup). In fact, most of the protein in this dish comes from the grain in the tortilla. They are however super low in calories and provide a slew of health benefits. Rich in antioxidants, fiber, B vitamins, copper and potassium, they also provide a meaty texture and great umami flavor.
This recipe is simple and comes together in minimal time. Just mix together some oil and spices. Slice all veggies, toss them in the bowl, spread them on two baking sheets. Twenty minutes in the oven and it’s done.
I like to serve these with my newly discovered blue corn tortillas from Trader Joe’s. They are made from stone ground blue corn, lime and a bit of guar gum for binding. They have no added salt or fat, and mostly they taste delicious. You can use any tortilla you like, just try to find some with minimal ingredients, no trans-fats, and preferably whole grain. Or even better, make your own. I haven’t quite mastered that art yet, but if you have, kudos to you!
To serve, add sliced avocado, guacamole or pico de gallo, chopped cilantro. Fajita toppings typically offered in Tex-Mex restaurants in the US include sour cream which is fine in moderation but really not necessary if you want to keep this dish Mediterranean Diet friendly.
Some ideas of toppings and sides:
Portobello mushroom fajitas
- In a large bowl, mix 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp chili pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp salt.
- Slice poblano peppers, red and yellow bell peppers; add to the bowl.
- Slice portobello mushrooms and red onion; add to the bowl.
- Toss all vegetables thoroughly to spread the spiced oil evenly.
- Spread onto 2 parchment paper lined baking sheets and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes (swap the sheets out for even baking if needed).
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with juice of 1 lime.
- Serve with whole wheat or corn tortillas, sliced avocado, guacamole or pico de gallo.