Fall is around the corner and I’m starting to think about soups again. And so it’s time for me to share this butternut squash red lentil soup recipe with you.
I made this soup as an improv one day, combining different butternut squash soup recipes. The result was such an amazing flavor combination that my husband requested I took note of what I had done so it could be repeated.
Butternut squash is low in calories but high in many nutrients, including vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, and potassium, and disease-fighting antioxidants. This butternut squash red lentil soup gets extra fiber and protein from the lentils. It also packs a punch of flavor and antioxidants from a lot of spices: turmeric, cumin, coriander and paprika. Lets face it, butternut squash is rather bland otherwise.
The addition of coconut milk and peanut butter make it super creamy. Granted, these add saturated fats. However, scientists believe that plant saturated fats do not have the same effect on cholesterol and heart health as animal saturated fats. They have a place in a balanced healthy plant-centric diet like the Mediterranean Diet!
A few tips
For tips on how to peel and dice a butternut squash, check out this video: How to make Roasted Butternut Squash. It’s not as hard as you imagine. You do need a good knife, though!
I do not recommend substituting other lentils like brown or green. Red lentils are perfect in this soup, not only because of their color, but because they because very soft and disintegrate once cooked, which is perfect to make a nice smooth soup.
For more butternut squash soup recipes, check these that inspired me:
Try our other soup recipes:
Butternut squash red lentil soup
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Garlic chopped (about 4 cloves)
- 1 Onion
- 6 cups Butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1 cup Red lentils
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Ground turmeric
- 6 cups Vegetable broth
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Peanut butter smooth and unsalted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sriracha or hot sauce for garnish
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Pumpkin seeds for garnish
- Heat olive oil in dutch oven on medium high heat.
- Add onion and saute until it softens a bit.
- Add butternut squash and saute until it starts to brown.
- Add garlic and all spices, stir well and saute another minute until spices are fragrant.
- Add vegetable broth and lentils. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add coconut milk and peanut butter, stir until the peanut butter has melted into the broth.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in a food processor in batches.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with a dash of sriracha sauce, cilantro and pumpkin seeds for garnish.
Pingback: Butternut squash chili soup - Cuisine With Me
Pingback: Cream of mushroom soup - Cuisine With Me