Cuban black bean soup
Turn up the heat with this spicy soup, full of flavor, luscious and healthy!
- 1 cup Red onion finely chopped
- 1 cup Red bell pepper seeded and chopped (about 1 medium)
- 3 each Jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped; or 2 jalapenos + 1 serrano for extra heat
- 3 cloves Garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups Chicken broth (or vegetable broth for a vegan version)
- 3 Black beans drained and rinsed (15 oz cans)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped for garnish
- 1 green onion chopped for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Save a couple tablespoons of red onion, bell pepper and jalapeño / serrano in a separate bowl for garnish.
- Add the rest of red onion, red bell pepper and jalapeño / serrano to the pan and sauté until the onion is softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking 2 minutes longer, stirring often.
- Sprinkle the mixture with the cumin, coriander and oregano. Add a few grinds of black pepper and combine well. Continue cooking until the spices are fragrant, about 1 minutes, then stir in the chicken broth and black beans.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let cool for a few minutes. Purée with a hand-held immersion blender or conventional blender (if using a conventional blender, you will need to work in several batches).
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. To serve, ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with cilantro, green onion and reserved red onion and bell pepper mix.
Makes 1-1/2 quarts
Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1045mg | Potassium: 679mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 605IU | Vitamin C: 38.7mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 4.1mg
Heads up: my posts may contain affiliate links! If you buy something through one of those links, you won't pay a penny more but we'll get a small commission, which helps keep the light on. For more details, read our affiliate disclosure. Thanks!