Red lentil soup
A luscious golden soup that will fill your kitchen with amazing aromas of Indian spices. It provides the combined health benefits of lentils, turmeric, garlic and ginger.
Servings: 8 pers
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ea Onion chopped
- 3 ea Cloves of garlic sliced
- 2 ea Carrots chopped (about the same volume as onion)
- 1 teaspoon Chili pepper flakes or less according to taste
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger powder
- 14 oz Diced tomatoes canned
- 2 cups Red lentils
- 6 cups Vegetable broth
- 14 oz Coconut milk canned
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and garlic and cook for about 10 minutes until the onion starts to brown lightly. Add the spices and cook for a couple minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant. Add the can of tomatoes with their juice and scrape any browned bits at the bottom of the pot. Add lentils and broth, bring to a boil then reduce the heat and cook for 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, mix with a handheld immersion blender until smooth. Add the coconut milk and stir. It should be at the right temperature to eat right away, but you can also refrigerate or freeze and reheat as needed. There should be no need for additional salt if you use regular salted vegetable broth or bouillon but you can adjust the salt to your taste.
Heads up: my posts may contain affiliate links! If you buy something through one of those links, you won't pay a penny more but we'll get a small commission, which helps keep the light on. For more details, read our affiliate disclosure. Thanks!