This golden spicy red lentil soup is a flavorful and health-conscious vegan dish that will satisfy your taste buds and nourish your body. Packed with vegetables, this red lentil soup recipe provides an abundance of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to keep you feeling energized and strong.
Lentils are a nutritional powerhouse, packed with protein and fiber. They contain important minerals like magnesium, iron, potassium, and zinc which help support our immune system. Lentils are also rich in antioxidants that can help fight inflammation and reduce the risk of heart disease and other chronic conditions. Plus, they’re low in calories and fat-free.
Red lentil soup recipe ingredients
- Extra virgin olive oil is a must for this red lentil soup. I like to use Partanna, which is a mild-flavored olive oil that has a fruity aroma and light taste. It’s versatile enough to add flavor without overpowering the other ingredients, making it perfect for soups and stews. Plus, olive oil helps boost the absorption of nutrients from vegetables.
- Diced tomatoes are a must-have in the pantry. Tomatoes are an important part of the Mediterranean Diet and provide a range of antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation and improve heart health. Look for low-sodium tomatoes if possible.
- Red lentils are the main ingredient and you can find them in most grocery stores. They cook quickly, making them a great choice for soups and stews.
- Coconut milk adds a hint of sweetness and creaminess to this soup. Its subtle flavor complements the earthy flavors of the lentils. Look for unsweetened coconut milk to avoid added sugars. It’s important to note that coconut milk does contain saturated fat, so be sure to keep your overall consumption of saturated fats in moderation. However, it does contain short chain fatty acids which may help reduce inflammation and improve heart health. So go ahead and enjoy this healthy vegan soup!
- Vegetable broth. I highly recommend Seitenbacher, which is a dehydrated vegetable broth that is low in sodium and has no added preservatives or MSG. It’s great to keep on hand for when you need a quick and easy vegan option for soups, stews, and sauces.
Red lentil soup variations
- When making this red lentil soup, feel free to adjust the spices according to your taste.
- For extra flavor and a boost of nutrition, you can also add in a handful of spinach or kale. These leafy greens are packed with antioxidants and vitamins, making them an excellent addition to any meal.
- You can also add in some extra vegetables like sweet potatoes or squash, for a boost of nutrition.
- Top this red lentil soup with a sprinkle of fresh herbs like cilantro, parsley or basil for added flavor.
- For a more substantial meal, you can serve this soup over brown rice or quinoa. These whole grains are packed with fiber and protein, making them a great choice for a healthy vegan meal.
The possibilities are endless with this tasty red lentil soup recipe! Enjoy!
Happy cooking! 🙂
More favorite recipes
Butternut squash red lentil soup
Red lentil soup
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ea Onion chopped
- 3 ea Cloves of garlic sliced
- 2 ea Carrots chopped (about the same volume as onion)
- 1 teaspoon Chili pepper flakes or less according to taste
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger powder
- 14 oz Diced tomatoes canned
- 2 cups Red lentils
- 6 cups Vegetable broth
- 14 oz Coconut milk canned
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and garlic and cook for about 10 minutes until the onion starts to brown lightly. Add the spices and cook for a couple minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant. Add the can of tomatoes with their juice and scrape any browned bits at the bottom of the pot. Add lentils and broth, bring to a boil then reduce the heat and cook for 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, mix with a handheld immersion blender until smooth. Add the coconut milk and stir. It should be at the right temperature to eat right away, but you can also refrigerate or freeze and reheat as needed. There should be no need for additional salt if you use regular salted vegetable broth or bouillon but you can adjust the salt to your taste.
This was delish! I brought it to a small group of friends for lunch, and they all LOVED it! It’s so creamy with a tasty flavor. Not too spicy at all. It’s perfect. Didn’t even need to add salt. I’m making another batch tomorrow!
So glad you enjoyed it, it’s one of my favorites too!
The BEST red lentil soup you will ever have! A must have soup!