There are many delicious and healthy fish dishes that you can easily make at home. This baked fish in tomato sauce is definitely one of them! With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up a nutritious dish in no time.
This dish is packed with nutrients, including protein and the power anti-oxidant lycopene, and it’s a great way to add some variety to your weekly meal plan. This recipe is not only healthy, but it’s also delicious!
Let’s get cooking!
The ingredients in this baked fish dish are very simple and easy to find. You will need fish fillets, marinara sauce, kalamata olives, olive oil, a lemon, some fresh herbs such as oregano, thyme or rosemary, salt, and pepper.
If you want to take the time to make your own tomato sauce, go for it. But there are plenty of fantastic jarred sauces on the market made with perfectly ripe tomatoes, simmered for hours and seasoned to perfection… So unless you have a nonna who would disown you if you didn’t make it from scratch, save yourself some trouble and go with a store-bought option. This recipe is meant to be quick and delicious! Just be sure to pick an organic sauce made with natural ingredients – nothing too processed or artificial.
When it comes to fish, any firm, mild fish will work well in this recipe. Some good options include tilapia, flounder, sole or cod. Just be sure to rinse the fish fillets and pat them dry before adding them to the baking dish.
How to make fish in tomato sauce
To prepare the fish, you will need to preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Then, you will need to lightly grease a baking dish with some olive oil and spoon the tomato sauce at the bottom. Next, you will lay the fish fillets on top of the sauce and season them with salt and pepper. Finally, arrange the olives around the fish, top with lemon slices and thyme.
Bake for about 15 minutes until the fish is cooked through, then turn on the broiler on high for a minute or two to get the sauce sizzling. Serve hot!
A few tips and variations
- One important note – be sure to avoid overcooking the fish. You want the fish to be cooked through, but you don’t want it to be dry or overcooked.
- Another thing to keep in mind is that the cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of your fish fillets. So, be sure to check the fish regularly to make sure it’s not overcooked.
- If you would like to use basil as your herb of choice, it is best to add it after the dish has been cooked. When you add fresh basil to a dish that will be cooked, the heat can cause the basil to turn black. This is not harmful, but it does not look very appealing and it can change the flavor of the dish.
- Finally, you can also try adding some different spices to this dish to give it a little extra flavor. Some options include cumin, paprika, or chili powder. Or, try adding some capers for a briny flavor.
How to serve fish in tomato sauce
There are endless possibilities when it comes to serving sides with fish in tomato sauce. A few of our favorites include:
- brown rice and a simple green salad
- quinoa and steamed vegetables
- whole wheat orzo sprinkled with Parmesan cheese
- oven roasted potatoes
How to store
This fish in tomato sauce can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. If you would like to reheat it, you can do so in the oven or in the microwave with a cover (tomato sauce will splatter in the microwave).
More delicious recipes:
Baked fish in tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 450 deg F.
- Lightly oil your baking dish with olive oil and spoon the tomato sauce at the bottom.
- Lay out the fish on top of the sauce. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the olives around the fish. Top with lemon slices and thyme.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until the fish is done, then turn on the broiler on high for a minute or two to get the sauce sizzling.
- Serve hot.