This dish is what I call “Refined Comfort Food”… A creamy cheese sauce rich with flavors of onion, shallots, garlic and white wine, earthy mushrooms, bright fresh spinach, wow, you won’t believe the smell in your kitchen as you are making this dish!
It takes barely more than 30 minutes to throw together depending on your chopping speed. Worthy of a fine restaurant, yet budget friendly!
Mushrooms are associated with the fall season since this is when they are most abundant in nature, yet I confess that I make this year around… I have made it with cremini mushrooms, white mushrooms, and various blends of wild mushrooms. The final flavor will vary slightly depending on the mushroom you use but anything goes, really…
Try this for your next meatless meal!
Creamy mushroom and spinach pasta
- 8 oz Farfalle pasta (whole wheat preferably)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup shallots chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 16 oz mushrooms
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 5 oz fresh spinach
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded (or a combination of Parmesan and Swiss)
- 8 oz heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley for garnish
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions for al dente.
- While pasta water is heating, chop onion, shallots, garlic and slice mushrooms.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil on medium high heat in a 5 qt saute pan.
- Add onion, shallots and garlic.
- Add salt, stir and cook until translucent.
- Add mushrooms, and cook until all liquids have evaporated ((about 8 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Add white wine, cook until almost completely reduced (there should be about 1/4 cup of liquid left in the pan)
- At this point, add pasta to boiling water while you finish the mushroom sauce.
- Add spinach to the pan with the mushrooms, stir and cook until wilted.
- Add shredded cheese, heavy cream and freshly ground pepper. Cook until slightly thickened
- Drain pasta and add to the sauce. Stir and cover, turn off the heat and let it rest for 2 to 5 minutes so that the pasta absorbs some of the flavors.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley.