This baked chicken with shallots recipe is easy enough to make on a week night but fancy enough for a dinner party! It requires minimal prep for maximum taste.
A few tips:
- This recipe works best with dark chicken meat (thighs or drumsticks) with bone in.
- To keep it healthy, make sure you remove the skin, or if you prefer, leave it on but do not eat it.
- Choose a baking dish just large enough to hold your chicken pieces fairly tight, so the juices do not evaporate too much during baking and you are left with some nice gravy to serve.
- The red pepper flakes are optional, of course, but they add a nice little kick!
- I like to use double concentrated tomato paste in a tube, it’s very convenient to keep in your refrigerator at all time for when you only need a tablespoon or two.
Step by step
Prepare your chicken removing the skin and any extra fat if needed.
Slice the shallots
Drizzle some oil at the bottom of your dish. Add about half of the shallots. Dip each piece of chicken into the bowl to coat it, and add to your dish.
Sprinkle the rest of the shallots on top and push some of them between the chicken pieces.
Bake in a 400 deg F oven for 45 minutes! That’s it!
This baked chicken with shallots can be served with any kind of vegetable. Here we served it with a simple kale salad topped with roasted beets and orange slices and a honey mustard balsamic dressing. Recipes here:
Baked chicken with shallots
- 2 lbs chicken thighs skinless bone-in
- 2 cups shallots sliced (about 4 medium)
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 1 clove garlic pressed or grated
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil at the bottom of a medium (about 2-quart capacity) baking dish. Spread half of the shallots.
- Whisk together the mustard, tomato paste, lemon juice, olive oil, thyme, garlic, salt, pepper, and chili in a medium bowl.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the bowl one by one to coat all sides. Place them on top of the shallots in the baking dish. Pour the rest of the mix on top. Scatter the rest of the shallots over the chicken, poking them in between the thighs here and there.
- Bake the chicken 45 minutes, until the chicken is opaque and the juices are bubbling.
- Serve warm.